Library Guides: Chinese studies (pre- 1949): E-texts and E-books
Chinese E-book databases
- China Academic Digital Associative Library (CADAL) 大学数字图书馆国际合作计划This is a cooperative project with contributions from many libraries in China and the west. There are many volumes of ancient Chinese books and books published in the Republican Period in this collection. You have to register first to have access to this database. This might be difficult for users from institutions that are not current contributors, such as Berkeley.
- Chinese old gazetteers 中国旧方志库It can be accessed through 中国基本古籍库 interface. Select “Ancient Classic” after login. Then click on “合集 初集 二集”. It contains about 4,000 titles of old Chinese gazetteers. It is full-text searchable.
- Digital books of Chinese Republican Period (1911-1949) 民国图书The National Library of China has digitized 15,028 titles of books published during the Chinese Republican Period (1911-1949). The full-text titles can be viewed online in the library of if you are a registered user.
- Digital old gazetteers 数字方志About 6, 868 titles of old Chinese gazetteers, from the Ming, Qing and Republican Periods were digitized by the National Library of China for this collection. However, the full-text items in the library can only be viewed if you are a registered user.
- Digitized Harvard’s old Chinese gazetteersAbout 735 titles of old Chinese gazetteers have been digitized and accessible online.
- Digitized old Chinese gazetteers of Harvard Yenching LibraryAbout 735 titles of old Chinese gazetteers have been digitized and freely accessible online.